The 2016/2017 youth quality meats program please stay tuned.
This page will continuously be updated with information as it becomes available to us.
Section #1 – Sheep and Goats weigh-in
April 29th 9:00am – 11:00am @ Polk County Fair Park (PLEASE NOTE THE SHORTER TIME FRAME) Animals need to be castrated BEFORE the weigh-in.
Section #2 – Paperwork
Section #3 – 2017 Dates
- April 29, 2017 – Quality Meats Committee meeting, 11:15am at Fairgrounds (After the weigh-in)
- June 12, 2017 – 7:30pm – Quality Meats Committee meeting – Polk County Government Center
- August 3, 2017 – Carcass show
- August 16, 2017 – 7:30pm Fair Wrap-Up meeting – Polk County Government Center
- September 11, 2017 – 7:30pm Quality Meats Committee meeting – Polk County Government Center
Section #4 – Educational Activities
- MAQA – Thursday, March 30, 2017 @ 7:00pm – Polk County Government Center
- MAQA – Thursday, June 1, 2017 @ 7:00pm – Polk County Government Center
Section #5 – Fair Updates
Section #6 – Other Resources
- Livestock Show Camp – Friday, June 16, 2017 – Polk County Fair Park
- Interstate Livestock Show – Saturday, June 17, 2017 – Polk County Fair Park
Section #7 – Swine Exhibitors
There will not be a spring weigh-in for swine in Polk County in 2017. Animals will still need to be self-identified. the self-identified process will be the same as last year. Exhibitors will not have to order their own DNA kits. Swine exhibitors will tag their animals themselves and take DNA samples and mail those samples into the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC). Polk County Quality Meats Tag numbers MUST BE included with the samples submitted for DNA analysis. Kits are $5.00 each and will need to be paid for at the time of pick up. Please make checks payable to: Polk County Quality Meats Program. If paying by cash please have exact amount.
TAGS AND KITS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE FOLLOWING TIMES ONLY! NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Hog ID packets will be available at the March 30th prior to the MAQA meeting at 7pm.
- Hog ID packets will be available at the Sheep & Goat weigh-in on April 29, 2017 from 9:00am – 11:00am at the Fair Park. (DO NOT BRING PIGS TO PICK UP TAGS)
- Hog ID packets can be picked up at the Polk County Extension office on May 1, 2, or 3rd, 2017 from 8;30am – 4:30pm.
Swine Registration Cards are due to the Extension office by MAY 15. 2017!
UW Extension Youth Livestock (Bernie O’Rourke’s page)