The 2017/2018 youth quality meats program please stay tuned.
This page will continuously be updated with information as it becomes available to us.
Section #1 – Sheep and Goats weigh-in
- April 28, 2018 – Spring Weigh-In – Sheep and Goats – 9 am – 11 am at the Polk County Fair Park
- For 2018 and forward, spring Weigh-In will be the 4th Saturday in April
Section #2 – Paperwork
Section #3 – 2017 Dates
- April 24, 2018 – Quality Meats Kick-Off meeting & Educational sessions 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm at the Unity High School
- April 28, 2018 – Spring Weigh-In – Sheep & Goats – 9 am – 11 am at the Polk County Fair Park
- June 4, 2018 – Quality Meats Committee Meeting – 7:30 pm Polk County Government Center
- July 25, 2018 – Jul 29, 2018 Polk County Fair
- August 2, 2018 – Carcass Show
Section #4 – Educational Activities
- Quality Meats Requirements
- Complete YQCA
- Attend a Kick-Off Meeting
- Attend an educational event
New for 2018 YQCA – Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (Formerly MAQA)
- Education sessions will be held in conjunction with Kick-Off meetings
- April 24, 2018 – 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm – at Unity High School
Section #5 – Fair Updates
Section #6 – Other Resources
Section #7 – Swine Exhibitors
There will not be a spring weigh-in registration for swine in Polk County in 2018. Animals will still need to be self-identified.
2018 Polk County Quality Meats Swine Identification process will be similar to last year.
Please read this information carefully and direct any questions to Tim Swenson (Chair) 715.491.8161 or Barry Elwood (Vice-Chair) 715.554.3783 or the Polk County Extension Office 715.485.8600.
- As in the past few years, there will NOT be a spring weigh-in for swine, however animals will still need to be registered with a Polk County Quality Meats tag(s) and DNA samples taken. Like last year, the Quality Meats program has ordered DNA registration sampling kits for all exhibitors. Exhibitors will not have to order their own DNA kit(s). Swine exhibitors will tag their animal(s) themselves and take DNA samples and mail those samples into the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC). Polk County Quality Meats Tag numbers MUST be included with the samples submitted for DNA analysis. Tags and kits will be handed out during the following times only!!!
Sheep and Goat Weigh-In – April 28 from 9:00am – 11:00am at the Fair Park (DO NOT BRING YOUR PIGS TO PICK UP YOUR TAGS!!!!)
Quality Meats Kick-off Meeting dates:
- April 24th – Quality Meats Kick-off meeting and Educational Sessions, 6:30 – 8:30pm at the Unity High School
- Educational sessions will be held in conjunction with kick-off meetings – tags and DNA Kits available prior to the program start time.
- May 1st, 2nd, or 3rd from 8:30am – 4:30pm at the Polk County Extension Office
$5.00 per kit will be required at the time of pick up. Please make your checks payable to the Polk County Quality Meats Program. If paying by cash, bring exact money.
Swine Registration Cards are due to the Extension Office by May 15th!!!!!!!!!!
UW Extension Youth Livestock (Bernie O’Rourke’s page)
Wisconsin Sheep Shearers List (Updated March 2016)